Community Resources and Additional Assistance

The following links offer additional assistance. For those outside of Austin, similar information may be available from other web resources.

Attorney General of Texas, Office of Consumer Protection 
The attorney general protects consumers and the legitimate business community by filing civil lawsuits under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act and other consumer protection statutes. Telephone: 512-463-2100 or 800-621-0508.

City of Austin Code Enforcement 
Enforces the standards for rental properties set by the Uniform Housing Code and the Dangerous Building Code. Telephone: 311. File a complaint online.

Austin Code Enforcement's Repeat Offender Program map. 
Map cites locations and dwelling information for repeat offenders of Austin municipal code.

Austin Code Enforcement Code Case Tracker Map 
Map allows users to search for a specific address to determine if there are any past or current code violations for that address.

Dispute Resolution Center 
Provides mediation services to anyone involved in a dispute. A nominal fee is requested from both parties. Telephone: 512-371-0033.

Fair Housing Council of Greater San Antonio 
Dedicated to promoting fair housing and eliminating discriminatory housing practices in the areas of rental housing, real estate sales, mortgage lending, and homeowners’ insurance. Telephone: 210-733-3247.

Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas 
Legal services and referrals are available for clients who are ineligible for legal aid. The referral is free. Attorneys will charge a nominal fee for a brief consultation and will charge for their legal services if you decide to hire the attorney. Telephone: 512-472-8303 or 866-303-8303.

North Texas Fair Housing Center 
Dedicated to eliminating housing discrimination in North Texas. Telephone: 469-941-0375.

Texas RioGrande Legal Aid 
Free civil legal assistance for low-income residents of South, Central, and West Texas. Telephone: 512-374-2700; 512-374-2777; 888-988-9996; or 800-369-9270.

Texas Law Help 
Online resource for free and low-cost civil legal assistance in Texas. Learn about your rights, self-help resources for legal problems, and where to find legal aid.

Texas Legislature Online 
Has all Texas statutes including the entire Texas Property Code.

Texas Low Income Housing Information Service 
Through research, advocacy, education, and policy about low-income housing, TxLIHIS supports low-income Texans’ efforts to achieve the American dream of a decent, affordable home in a quality neighborhood.

Texas Tenants’ Union 
Empowers tenants through education and organizing to protect their rights, preserve their homes, improve their living conditions and enhance the quality of life in their communities. The organization offers free weekly tenants’ rights workshops; organizing assistance at the apartment complex level; written information; counseling; training; referral services. Telephone: 214-823-2733.

Hays Central Appraisal District 
On the Hays CAD website, under "Property Search," you may find information for the legal owner of record for a particular property. 
Travis Central Appraisal District 
On the Travis CAD website, under "Property Search," you may find information for the legal owner of record for a particular property. 
Williamson Central Appraisal District 
On the Williamson CAD website, under "Property Search," you may find information for the legal owner of record for a particular property.

Hays County Justices of the Peace 
Home page for Hays County Justices of the Peace. Here you will find links to all five Justices of the Peace and their contact information. 
Travis County Justices of the Peace 
Home page for Travis County Justices of the Peace. Here you will find links to all five Justices of the Peace and their contact information. 
Williamson County Justices of the Peace 
Justices of the peace handle both civil and criminal cases, including small claims court, justice court, and administrative hearings. In practical terms, these are lawsuits over debts, evictions, car accidents, unlawful towing, and property.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 
HUD’s mission is to increase homeownership, support community development, and increase access to affordable housing free from discrimination.

University of Texas Legal Services for Students 
For UT students only. It is located in the Student Services Building, 100 West Dean Keeton Street, Suite 3.410, Austin 78712. Telephone: 512-471-7796.

State Bar of Texas 2017 Referral Directory 
This is a comprehensive listing of legal services and other resources for Texans with limited incomes.

Housing Crisis Center (Dallas, Texas) 
Serving the Dallas area, this organization provides a variety of housing related services to include a telephone hotline, twice monthly legal clinics, supportive housing and other housing stability services.

Foundation Communities 
Foundation Communities is a local nonprofit. They provide affordable housing to qualifying individuals and families. Their housing communities also provide free on-site support services. They also provide financial stability counseling services.

Lone Star Legal Aid 
Lone Star Legal Aid provides free civil legal help to low-income families and individuals. They have offices is 72 Texas Counties outside of Travis and Williamson Counties.

SAFE Alliance
SAFE Alliance provides safety for individuals and families affected by sexual and domestic violence. SAFE Alliance provides emergency shelter, counseling, affordable child care, community advocacy and education, among other critical services. If you are in immediate danger, call 911. If you need help or have questions, call the 24-hr SAFEline at 512-267-7233 (SAFE) or text at 737-888-7233. Online chat is available on their website.




The Telephone Counseling Line provides education and information regarding residential tenant-landlord disputes. Lines are busy, and callers are encouraged to keep trying. Please call us at 512-474-1961.


online counseling

The Online Counseling Program provides education and information regarding the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords. Fill out an online intake and an advocate will contact you!


The In-House Counseling Program provides 30-minute in-house counseling sessions to tenants and landlords who have questions regarding their rights or responsibilities.